It’s never too late to start thinking about things you can do to improve your lifestyle. I thought I’d gather up some Healthy Meal suggestions to help you get started planning some healthy meals.
My favourite breakfast recipe is a simple oatmeal porridge. This particular variation contains Apples, Brown Sugar, and Cinnamon. However, you could easily change things up. For instance, if you don’t want to use the slow cooker, you can cook it normally, I just like waking up to a hot and ready breakfast for the family. You could also consider:
- 1/4 cup Blueberries (raspberries or strawberries would also work) and 1/4 cup walnuts in your oatmeal.
- 1 banana and 1/2 cup almonds in your oatmeal.
- Whole Wheat Bread with peanut butter (or Nutella) and banana
- Grilled Chicken or Salmon over a bed of baby spinach with light house Italian Dressing and a spritz of lemon.
Sometimes this is the hardest meal of the day to make healthy, due to lack of time and exhaustion. Planning ahead really helps. If you can shop once a week for all of your ingredients, make a meal plan so you know what you’re eating when, and do some prep work ahead of time, it will save you money and time in the long run.
I like to marinate my meat the day I buy it, freeze it, then pull it out the morning I plan to use it. I let it thaw all day in the fridge so it’s ready to go at dinner time.
- Lemon Pepper Chicken with salad greens
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Homemade Spaghetti Sauce topped with Light Parmesan Cheese, you could easily use whole wheat in my Baked Penne Rigate recipe
Other Heart Friendly Foods you can incorporate into your meals:
- Brown Rice
- Sweet Potatoes
I love fruit, so I try to keep some with me for snacks, or I pre-chop it and store in reusable containers as fruit salads.