This post is brought to you today by Emerald® Nuts. All thoughts and opinions and expressed are my own.
We are a busy, busy family on the go, and I am sure many of you can relate. With multiple children in elementary and middle school, their schedules are different, and they are involved in many different activities. During the fall, we are involved in football, soccer, cross country, basketball, golf, bowling, floor hockey, and band, in addition to the kids homework. They need snacks that are filling, healthy, and able to provide an energy boost. Emerald® Nuts fill that need for us. During the week, the after school hours are packed with activities, and I love knowing my kids have these in their backpacks to eat when needed.
On the weekends, we have games, meets, and tournaments, scattered across the state, often lasting the entire day. We can get on the road early, with a Emerald Breakfast On the Go!™ Nutty Bites pack. There is such a variety of options available in our local Walmart Supercenter, that everyone is able to choose their favorite flavor combination. I love the 100 calorie snack packs to help keep my healthy eating plan on target. There are just enough cashews in there to be a filling snack, while keeping my calories on track too! I have the small green container in a cup holder – it’s a perfect fit – if I’m going to be sharing a snack, or need a little more food than the snack pack, when meal time is delayed. Coincidentally, the small green container is the perfect quantity for my Cashew Chicken recipe! It’s a quick and easy meal for any day of the week!
Cashew Chicken Recipe:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Black pepper
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 small green canister of Emerald Nuts
- First, gather all of your ingredients so everything is handy as you prepare the dish.
- Place 1 Tbsp Cornstarch in a small bowl. Add in a few pieces of chicken at a time and coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the chicken, and cook stirring frequently, until chicken is is golden brown and has cooked through.
- *Depending on size of skillet, it may not all fit at once. It’s ok to cook in smaller batches. I just put a paper towel on a plate to drain the 1st batch while the next batch(es) are cooking. Add another 1/2 tbsp of oil to the remaining oil in the skillet to each new batch.
- In a mixing bowl or measuring cup, whisk together chicken broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and remaining 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch until well blended.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and Emerald cashews and saute until cashews are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Pour in hoisin sauce mixture, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Remove the 2 Ginger slices
- Add chicken to sauce and toss to evenly coat. Let it cook a couple of minutes so the flavors mingle.
- Serve warm with rice and vegetable of your choice, we typically choose broccoli.