Ways to Have Fun on Election Day
DISCLOSURE: This post is NOT in support or opposition of ANY candidate or political party. I typically don’t blog about politics, because I try to keep an open mind AND I don’t want controversy in this space 🙂 Regardless of what candidate you’re voting for, I hope you are able to enjoy some of these Ways to have fun on Election Day!
This is our first election year to live in New Hampshire, and it has been quite an experience. The vast quantity of phone calls, calls to participate in polls, MAIL, and door to door visits has been astounding. We got a bit of that in the South, but nothing on this level.
I think we can all agree that this election has left many of us disappointed with the controversies surrounding some of the candidates. GourmetGiftBaskets.com, decided to lighten things up, and bring a little sweetness to the election season with their Presidential Cookie Cake Campaign. They designed caricatures of some of the candidates on huge sugar cookie cakes. This would make a great gift for someone in your life that is really into politics and following the election results, or for when you’re watching the results come in. You can also cast your own vote on their
election-predicting page. GourmetGiftBaskets.com has recruited companies in all 50 states to host its own Electoral College, as well.
As you can see, they sent me a couple of these fun cookie cakes to sample. They were DELICIOUS. They arrive very well packed, with instructions on how the package should be handled, clearly labeled. However, my postman likes to toss our packages onto the driveway and leave. So, the Gary Johnson cookie was a little rumpled (but still tasted great!). The other cookie I received was Donald Trump.
- To participate in the general polling, please go to the polling place to vote.
- If you’re interested in ordering your own Presidential Cookie Cake or sending one to a friend, loved one, or even someone who disagrees with your political views, please go here. Each cake is only $34.99 and ships for free.
- Shop through Ebates for additional discount codes, and earn up to 5% cash back!
- Finally, if you’re planning an election night party and want to order all three cookie cakes to stage your own mini-elections, you can purchase them together for just $79.99 with free shipping (a savings of nearly $25).
- Stay tuned for exciting updates as the GourmetGiftBaskets.com election rolls out over the next few weeks.
- “This game is great for everyone – it’s fun, entertaining, educational and sparks great debates and dialogue.”
- “Not only does it rouse the political banter and spirits…it’s also very educational.”
- “It was great to get it out during our gathering of family and friends and just play politics without the negative stigma associated with it.”
- “The perfect political game for a family or groups of friends with a variety of political viewpoints.”
Players choose one of seven political personas (Conservative, Environmentalist, Liberal, Moralist, Libertarian, Corporatist or Socialist), each with specific agenda “planks.” Players travel around the pitfall-laden road that is American politics – from scandals to buying off politicians to filibusters – where the object is to win over the public in votes and polls and gather enough money to implement the most agenda planks. Along the way there is political humor, trivia to test political knowledge, and scandals to avoid.
My kids are all in Middle School, ages 11 – 14, and they had a BLAST playing this game. At their school, they learned about using Ballotpedia to help research different issues and topics. Then, each grade visited Vote Smart and used the VOTE EASY option to find their political soulmate in the Congressional and Presidential elections. It’s a great resource to find the candidate who best matches your views on different issues, and provide voters with FACTS that are unbiased – that’s hard to come by! Finally, each student cast their “votes” in the election, and on election day, they’ll announce the results during the announcements. It’s a fun way to teach the kids about the election process, how important it is to research issues and candidates, how to make an educated, informed decision on who you are voting for. My oldest son will be of age to vote in the next Presidential Election *they grow SO FAST*, so we’ve really spent a lot of time discussing things. They enjoyed taking things a step further with The Agenda Game, learning about how a candidates agenda can really have an affect on different things. They even recommended it to their social studies teachers, to incorporate into the curriculum!
The kind team behind The Agenda Game has generously offered to supply a copy of the game to one lucky winner!
Winner: Shannon Oneill
Total Entries: 4512