I have a plan that I’ve broken down into 7 categories that give me a manageable amount of things to do each day so that it doesn’t become overwhelming.
Yes, I’d love a day of complete rest, but for me, that makes the rest of my week seem so much heavier. I only do a small amount of work on Sunday, but it helps me to feel relaxed the rest of the week. Each day is assigned a room. I do all the heavy cleaning for each room on it’s assigned day.
The rest of the week, I can do just a quick, simple clean up and the house stays pretty tidy:) I update this post from time to time, as the products I use change, and I welcome comments about what you use to clean your own home!
Sunday: Living Room
We use this Febreeze Air Purifier in our living room, it helps reduce the amount of dust and germs significantly. When I’m cleaning, I prefer to use Pledge on the furniture with a microfiber cleaning cloth to wipe it down.
We use Endust Electronics wipes for the electronics which attract the most dust, but checked first to make sure they were safe! Check your owner’s manuals or the manufacturer’s first, to avoid any damage issues! For surfaces, I wipe daily with a microfiber hand duster.
Finally, I do a quick vacuum of the floors with my Shark Rocket – I have the DuoClean Version.
Tuesday: Floors (sweeping and mopping- these hurt my back immensely, so they get their own day. I can do 5 minutes at a time throughout the day to make it easier)
Wednesday: Kitchen (day before trash pick up, so perfect for cleaning out the fridge)
Thursday: Upstairs Loft Area
Friday: Kid’s Rooms
The kids do most of this, I just stay on top of it weekly by weeding out outgrown clothes, a few toys, and making sure it’s tidy.
Saturday: Master Bedroom
Some of these items are the same as the Living Room. The biggest additions are the Ceiling Fan Microfiber Duster – we do not have a ceiling fan in our current living room, but a quick weekly dusting avoids dust buildup, the Blind Cleaner – the blinds upstairs get dustier than downstairs, the Wall Mop – again, the upstairs walls require a weekly wipe down and downstairs just once a month (we leave the upstairs windows open more).
We also purchased an Air Purifier for our room because I have allergies and it reduces the dust in the dustiest room in the house so I breathe significantly better. The replacement filters are a fraction of the cost of the extra allergy medication I was taking.
1. Start a load of laundry.
2. Unload clean dishes, load dirty dishes in the dishwasher. I know most people don’t like leaving dishes out overnight, but my personal preference is to do them first thing in the morning 🙂
3. Take out trash.
4. Do a quick pickup of items left out around the house.
5. Swap the laundry.
6. Quick wipe down of kids bathroom. With three boys, it gets disgusting if you don’t do this daily. They are learning to help do it though, so sometimes I leave this for after school:)
7. Make my Bed. Kids do their own before school.
8. Make preparations for dinner.
My other cleaning tips
- 12 frugal ways to use a baking soda >>
- The amazing whip it cleaner and how to use it >>
- How to remove cigarette smell from your house >>
- 7 frugal ways to use a kitchen towel >>
- How to make natural soapwort soap >>
- How to re-use tumble dryer sheets >>
Stay in touch
Hope this post inspires you and of course, I’d love to know what you think! Let me know in the comments below or find me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and add the hashtag #practicalfrugality so that I can see your post.
Or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter with frugal living tips and recipes straight to your mailbox.