Susan Brownell Anthony was born February 15, 1820, and passed on March 13, 1906. She was a civil rights leader, who campaigned against slavery, promoted workers rights, and women’s rights, including the right to vote. She was born here in New England in Adams, MA (a place I’d love to visit and tour the museum, there’s a separate one in Rochester, NY!), and began her career as a school teacher. She later left her position to devote her full time and energy into social reform. In 1872, she was beaten and arrested for trying to vote for Ulysses S Grant, while it was still illegal for women to do so. She was tried and convicted 7 months later, with a sentence of a $100 fine. She said, “I shall never pay a dollar of your unjust penalty”, and she did not.
Ultimately she died 14 years before the 19th Amendment passed, allowing women the right to vote, but she made such a pivotal impact on the movement that she was recognized by the US Treasury in 1979, with the minting of a silver dollar to recognize her contributions and the betterment of our society.
I am an Amazon Affiliate, and I did a search to find some books you may enjoy on Susan B Anthony across a spectrum of age groups:
- Susan B Anthony (First Biographies) (Pre-school – Grade 1, Ages 4-8, 24 pages)
- Easy Reader Biographies: Susan B Anthony (Grades K-1, 16 pages)
- Susan B Anthony: Fighter for Freedom and Equality (Grades K-3, Ages 5-9, 24 pages)
- Susan B Anthony: Fighter for Women’s Rights (Grade Level 1-3, Ages 6-8, 32 pages)
- Susan B Anthony (TIME for Kids Nonfiction Readers) (Grades 3-5, 28 pages)
- Susan B Anthony: Champion of Women’s Rights (Grade Level 4-6, Ages 8-12, 192 pages)
- Failure is Impossible: Susan B Anthony in Her Own Words (416 pages) *I have added this one to my Wish List. It has excellent reviews. I do enjoy non-fiction and biographies, and this work contains Anthony’s own letters and other correspondence, which is quite rare. I called my local library and they do not have this, but I plan to add it to my personal collection in the very near future!
- Susan B Anthony Rebel, Crusader, Humanitarian -*Currently free (as of this posting) on Amazon Kindle
- The Life and Work of Susan B Anthony (Volume 1 of 2) Including Public Addresses, Her Own Letters and Many From Her Contemporaries During Fifty Years -*Currently free (as of this posting) on Amazon Kindle
- An Account of the Proceedings on the Trial of Susan B Anthony, on the Charge of Illegal Voting, at the Presidential Election in Nov., 1872… -*Currently free (as of this posting) on Amazon Kindle
- DVD: Biography – Susan B. Anthony (A&E DVD Archives)