So often, a common question that I hear friends ask when they are considering starting a job hunt, is how to make a resume? Sure, they know the basics, and they know how to use a template that they find online, but they don’t know how to personalize it, and make it stand out from others. Some, have been in the same position for a very long time, and need reminders as to what all should be included, and what should be left out. Here are 7 tips on how to make a resume that is effective that I share with friends and family, hopefully they’ll help some of you 🙂
- Start with a cover letter that you tailor to each company and position.
- Make sure to include up to date contact information, including cell phone and email address that you check often.
- Make sure to include education experience, and any certifications that you have.
- Make sure your resume has job experience that pertains to WHY you are a good fit for the job.
- Incorporate key words from the job description into your job experience where applicable. This will ensure companies using automated software to pre-screen resumes will pick up on them, and show you are qualified.
- Be sure to get a card, with phone number, address, and email of company contact for follow up when you go in for an interview
- Make sure to send thank you letters after an interview, etc.